Lucy Hope continues to adjust to her new life with the Greens here in Guangzhou, but I'm not sure she quite understands it yet. It's clear that she's happy to be around Connie, Lily Grace, and Lia Faith. I've seen videos of her laughing and chasing them around the room. I just haven't seen it in person yet. It is as if Lucy's culture's indifference toward women guides her interpersonal relationships and so, she becomes quite reserved any time men are around. The other fathers in the adoption group are also experiencing the same reactions from their own daughters. A little comforting to know that we're not the only ones, but we hope that Lucy will learn how much we love her soon and will be more open to our advances.Today, we visited the Chen Ancestral Hall just outside the west gate of Guangzhou City. This hall is also referred to as a Temple because of its architecture and it's dedication to the Chen family. It was built in 1888-1894 and served as the hall for ancestor worship, as well as temporary residence for Chen's descendants when they came to the provincial capital for meetings. Lily thought the Chen Ancestral Hall was very interesting. I gave her a little point and shoot camera and she took a lot of pictures. These she can use for her Heritage Studies grade when she gets back. In fact, the Ancestral Hall once served as an education center for the entire Chen family - that's a big family! It is now being used as the Guangdong Folk Arts Museum.
Tomorrow, we will drive 10 hours to visit Lucy Hope's orphanage in Maoming (5 hours each way). We will get to meet her nannies (again for me) and ask them questions about her earliest days when she arrived at the orphanage. We will also visit her finding spot and take a picture with her there. The things we learn tomorrow will be Lucy's only connection to her beginnings, so we hope that everything goes well. Please pray for safe travel and for God to grant us knowledge of Lucy's early childhood.
Love,
Jerry, Connie, Austin, Lily Grace, Lia Faith, and Lucy Hope
Green, Party of Six



Rebecca is taking you guys to the same places we went when I got Maggie. We will need to share pictures to make sure we got it all covered! I wasn't able to go to her Finding Spot as it was so far away. I am glad that you are able to make that trip. I'm praying that she will warm up to you (Jerry) and Austin. I'm glad though she is doing well. Prayers continuing!
ReplyDeleteTricia Thompson